Wednesday 12 October 2016

Unable to Update VMware Tools for vSphere 5.5 Update 3.

This one should be easy if you have a good troubleshooting skill. When I wanted to upgrade VMware Tools from previous version to the latest version, the installation hung at " Installing VMXnet3 driver ".





I used a few methods to get it upgraded :


1) simply upgrade VMware Tools from vCentre - hung
2) downloaded VMware Tools from here
 ( https://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/index.html ) and get it installed - hung
3) Uninstalled current VMware Tools, rebooted the machine - blue screen
4) Uninstalled current VMware Tools, without rebooting the machine, performed upgrade from vCentre - hung
5) Uninstalled current VMware Tools, without rebooting the machine, performed manual upgrade usign EXE file- hung



So this made me thinking, the issue might not due to the installer ( as I tried from vCentre level as well as manual installation), but due to VM itself, as it hung at exact status (Installing VMXnet3 driver).



When I checked the VM, yes, it was using VMXNET3 driver for the vNIC. It was not too hard to narrow down, huh?




The journey started. I added another vNIC, but in this case I used E1000 type rather than VMXNET3.




Once done, I removed current vNIC.



As I used PVS, I needed to update MAC address for the target device (cool, huh?)




And without too much hassle, I managed to upgrade VMware Tools!




I did not restart the VM, but I turned it off completely.




Next, I added back vNIC with VMXNET3 type.




Update MAC address in PVS console, and get the VM started.




Tam tada dam! VMware Tools is now current!



Share:
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete