Wednesday 19 February 2014

Add a Member Server To Domain Failed Due to DNS Configuration

This would be my first post regarding Server 2012 (pretty cool, huh?) So this is the case. I just created a lab environment for my XenDesktop 7. Because of this new classy environment, so I decided to use Server 2012. I have a server act as a DHCP, DNS and DC (have to, not enough resources), and another server as member server. So when I wanted to add this member server to my domain, I received error as in Issue section.



Issues :


  • Facing with this error while adding member server to domain.
    The following error occurred attempting to join the domain <domainName> :
    The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.




Troubleshooting 
  • It turned out that my DNS server is not properly configured. It is not configured to any server, thus resulting member server cannot contact to any DNS server.





Resolution :
  1. Configure the correct DNS server. Depending on your environment, you may want to set it manually at servers, or at Scope option level.
  2.  Perform IPCONFIG /Release and IPCONFIG /Renew, so new configuration will take place. 
  3.  Rejoin the member server to domain, and tadaa!



Reference 

  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8df10ef3-5789-46cc-9446-40664e56522a/error-message-the-specified-domain-either-does-not-exist-or-could-not-be-contacted?forum=winservergen
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment